No More Epic Posts

Last week, I deviated from my previous posts by cranking out a 1500-word epic about Lance Armstrong.  My original goal was to stimulate an invigorating discussion about the effects that a LA conviction could have on the entire bike industry, on bike commuters like you and me.  I laid out some facts.  I asked for comments.  But alas, no one obliged.

Upon reading my Google Analytics stats, I realized no one actually finished my homeric blog post.  Whoops!  So, lesson learned – I’ll be cutting down the length of my posts, but-BUT! The question still remains.  What will be the effect, if any, on you and me if Jeff Novitzky and his fellow federal investigators determine that Lance Armstrong is a lying, cheating fraud?  Collapse of the Trek?  Demise of LiveStrong?  Absolutely no effect?  Holler at me in the comments.

On a side note, I jokingly claimed that I wanted to improve my search engine ranking for the “Lance Armstrong is a self righteous dick” query.  I’m proud to say that I am number one for that.

This entry was posted in Doping, General Belligerence, Pro Cycling and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to No More Epic Posts

1. leo says:

on the plus (or minus) side, contador is exonerated. what does that mean? good, bad?

• Self Righteous Cyclist says:

Spain has a nice history of protecting alleged dopers (See: Valverde, Operación Puerto). It’ll be interesting to see if the UCI appeals to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). If so, he could end up getting the 2-year ban.

What does the exoneration mean, you ask? Well, it means that riders with similar test results get treated differently. A RadioShack rider got a 2-year ban last year for a Clenbuterol positive. Contador’s free to race. Why? Because he’s a 3x Tour winner? Because he’s Spanish?

• leo says:

out of curiosity, how much clenbuterol was the radioshack rider caught with? i mean to be fair the amount detected in Contador’s blood was ridiculously miniscule. you’re right though, if the case gets appealed to the CAS he’s probably not going to get off—do you know if he can race in the grand tours this year before/during the appeal?

2. leo says:

so i had your old post open for a few days, but couldn’t hold it all in my head enough to comment. heh.

i’d be really shocked if there’s no good profit margin in even lower-end bikes. i mean clearly i don’t know crap about bike manufacturing, but it sure seems like even entry-level bikes are damn expensive. trek’s cheapest road bike is like $700, and cheapest urban commuter is around $450. that’s still a ton of money—for a pretty crappy bike. are the components so expensive? i don’t know.

as to LA… at least he’s still not racing 🙂 that would be so much worse.

3. Anonamrm says:

Definitely hadn’t thought about the cost barrier increase you proposed- good point for sure. However, could there be a flip side? A loss of faith in cycling as a sport could turn more toward the recreational/commuter riding community (vs competitive racing), which certainly already has a large presence in cities. While a conviction would certainly be devastating to the sport, is it crazy to think that the cycling community as whole could undergo such a shift that would eventually be positive for the recreational community? Or is it just as you said, the recreational community is driven by the money created from the competitive side of things?

4. Self Righteous Cyclist says:

Okay, I’ll go first.

I think we can all agree that, if Lance Armstrong’s golden boy image is tarnished, the biggest effect will be seen in bike racing. Just as Lance’s story has inspired many to pick up racing, his demise could reduce the numbers running to their local bike shop to pick up the newest Trek Madone. So what does this have to do with commuters?

Well, companies like Trek depend on Madone sales for survival because the profit margin on a $10k race bike is much higher than on a $400 hybrid. So, if Madone sales decrease, up goes the price of that hybrid or single-speed.

Unfortunately, one of the main reasons I believe people commute by bike is the economic benefit over driving/public transit. I think fewer people will ride if the financial barrier is increased, which could have a drastic effect on efforts to implement bike-friendly legislation and infrastructure.

So, I really hope LA isn’t convicted, but it’s not because I think he’s a swell guy.

Comments are closed.